Caritas Zambia is a Catholic Organisation that is an integral structure of the Zambia Conference of Catholic Bishops (ZCCB).
The Conference of Bishops is a permanent grouping of Bishops of a given nation or territory that jointly exercises certain pastoral functions on behalf of the Christian faithful of their territory. This is done for the sake of effective evangelisation.
To promote the principle of the common good which the Church offers humankind, especially through forms and programmes of the apostolate which are fittingly adapted to the circumstances of the time and place, is the role of Bishops.
The structures of Caritas in Zambia permeate from the national level to parishes (communities), consistent with the structure of the Catholic Church. At the very lower level are parishes with their out-stations and Small Christian Communities.
At the community level are Parish Justice and Peace Committees and Parish Development Committees which are part of the diocesan structure. These are followed upward by deaneries, a couple of which constitute a diocese. At the diocesan level are diocesan Justice and Peace Commissions and diocesan Development Commissions which make up a diocesan Caritas save for the dioceses of Ndola and Solwezi where the equivalent structures are referred to as directorates of Social Ministries.
Dioceses are generally aligned to national provincial political boundaries except in few cases; Mongu Diocese (most of Western Province except for Sesheke, Shangombo and the new districts of Sioma and Mulobezi); Livingstone Diocese (part of Southern Province which are Kazungula and Livingstone districts and the Western Province districts west of the Zambezi river); Monze Diocese (the rest of Southern Province and a bit of Lusaka Province being Chirundu district and parts of Central Province, Itezhi- tezhi district); Solwezi Diocese (North-Western Province); Ndola Diocese (Copperbelt Province); Mansa Diocese (Luapula Province); Kasama Archdiocese (Northern Province), Mpika Diocese (Muchinga Province), Kabwe Diocese (most of Central Province); Lusaka Archdiocese (Lusaka Province and parts of Central Province being Mumbwa district and parts of Chibombo district); Chipata Diocese (Eastern Province and one district in Muchinga Province which is Chama). It is the Church’s geographical spread that gives Caritas Zambia programmes a national spread.
- CARITAS CHIPATA
- CARITAS SOLWEZI
- CARITAS KABWE - Caritas Kabwe is a social action agency and development arm of the Catholic Diocese of Kabwe. It was established in 2012 as the Diocesan Development Office to share in the Social Mission of the Catholic Commission for Development.
- CARITAS KASAMA - Caritas Kasama is a charitable and faith-based organisation. It is a department under Kasama Archdiocese. Caritas Kasama is composed of two commissions and desks, namely; Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace (CCJP), Catholic Commission for Development.
- CARITAS MANSA - Caritas Mansa is the development wing of the Catholic Diocese of Mansa, the department exists to empower the less privileged to sustain their wellbeing and sustain the natural resources through conscientisation, training and advocacy in collaboration with other stakeholders; Caritas Mansa's work is inspired by the gospel values, justice, respect for human life and dignity and the social teaching of the church. http://domansa.org/index.php/about-us/social-department/caritas-mansa/
- CARITAS MONZE
- CARITAS LIVINGSTONE - Caritas Livingstone is the Social Wing of the Catholic Livingstone Diocese. It has two main Desks: CCJP and CCD. The office is located at Maramba Libuyu Road - Zambia.
- CARITAS MPIKA
- CARITAS INTERNATIONALIS , https://www.caritas.org/
Zambia Conference of Catholic Bishops (ZCCB) - https://web.facebook.com/zccb.catholiczambia
The Conference of Bishops is the Board of Caritas Zambia which animates the Constituted Commissions of CCJP and CCD. The Catholic Secretariat with all its departments, which includes Caritas Zambia, constitute the national Secretariat of the Bishops' Conference. Just like all other Commissions under ZCCB, Caritas Zambia has a Bishop Episcopal Director directly representing ZCCB in the affairs of the Commissions for Justice and Peace and Development, whose activities are carried out by Caritas Zambia
President - Bishop George Cosmas Zumaire Lungu (Bishop of Chipata)
Vice-President - Archbishop Ignatius Chama (Metropolitan Archbishop of Kasama)
General Secretary - Fr. Francis Mukosa (Catholic Secretariat, Lusaka)